Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Progress of our thrifty home office.

 
 I have been a busy junkin these last few weeks. I finally have a list of inventory of items for our home. I just sold quite a bit of stuff on CL, so I had a little bit of fun money to go junkin with.
So this past Friday, the kids and I loaded up and went to my favorite honey hole. Really, she never disappoints. I came out with a desk, a wing back chair and a huge box along with a few other small accessories.
 
We have a design in our mind of what we want our office to look like. Adam often has clients over here for designing house plans. So we really want it to be comfortable and yet remain true to our overall decor of the rest of our home.
 
So when I found these things, I was very excited. Now on with the fun.
 
I enlisted the help of Adam's mom to help me get all these treasures home. She was happy to do so. She also volunteered to show me her knowledge of Annie Sloan techniques.
So Sunday after church we got busy with the desk.
I love the bones and lines of this desk. I believe it is Queen Anne style.
This was this color before. Same as the chair color.
 
 

And this color after.
We painted it with ASCP in French Linen. We used the soft clear wax and just a tiny bit of the dark wax. We also lightly sanded the edges.
I am so happy with the results.

 
 
I moved my green desk into the foyer and I really like it there.



Here is some of the detailing of the desk.
  This little letter holder on the right is actually a toast holder!
My Mom and I found it out junkin a couple of weeks ago.

 
I fell in love with this wing back chair. And while it is lovely in its current state. My mother in law and I are going to try to reupholster it. I have never tried it. But it will be fun.
 
This is the trunk/box that I also found there.
It was a little dirty. But I never turn down a good storage piece.
This is before..
 
 
This is the piece after I painted it with a mixture of ASCP Old White, French Linen and Duck Egg.
Linking up to City Farmhouse Inspiration Exchange.

We were featured!

14 comments:

The Kings said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Rita said...

Thank you, Jen! It is definitely a work in progress.

The Kings said...

It is so cool that you have a mother-in-law that shares your hobby and talent! Can't wait to see the chair's new life!

Rita said...

Yes, she is a very good seamstress. So I am sure she will do a fabulous job teaching me.

SydneeB said...

DANG!!!! These are even MORE fabulous than you described when we talked the other day! SWEET finds!!! I'm excited to see the chair when it's finished! AND your HOME! :D

Rita said...

Thanks sydnee! We will visit my honey hole when you come.

The Dukes said...

Where do you buy the Annie Sloan chalk paint? Is it hard to do?

Rita said...

Annie Sloan is the easiest paint I have ever worked with. You do not have to do any prep work at all on your piece! The absolute best thing to do is watch an Annie Sloan tutorial on You tube. You can not mess up with this paint. The paint is a bit pricey at $38 for 32 ounces. But, it goes a LONG way. You can do several pieces of furniture with one can.
My mother in law looked into where to buy the paint in Arkansas. There is only one place in Little Rock that sells it. Look for stores that specialize in French Farmhouse décor. You live in Kansas right? If you live near or in a big city you should be able to find.
Please let me know if you find it and like it. :-)

City Farmhouse said...

Love it Rita! It looks beautiful, so many things I love! You are being featured tomorrow at the Inspiration Exchange, yay! Spread the word:). Have a great weekend, Jen

The Dukes said...

I am definitely going to look for it! We are in between Topeka and Kansas City so surely I can find it somewhere. I'm excited to try it! Our main living area still hasn't really been decorated since we moved in 3 years ago and I'm determined to take care of it before Christmas!

Rita said...

Thanks Jen for the feature! I am looking forward to it!

Rita said...

Dukes,

Yes, you will find it and love it! I am doing a sofa table now as I type. Well, it is in between coats of paint and drying. Make sure you get the clear wax even if you don't do the dark wax. Please post pics of your pieces! I am excited for you. Wished we were closer and we could have a painting party. :-)

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

This is gorgeous! So glad I found your blog! I'd love for you to share it on the link party we have on right now. http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/08/give-me-the-goods-party-no-20/
Are you on FB? I'd love to share it on my FB page too.
Newest follower!!!
Hugs,
Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

The Cottager said...

beautiful! what great finds. i have just done a few projects with ASCP as well. that paint is amazing. the office looks wonderful... loved the photos.